Australian Embassy

Getting married in Nepal

Getting married in Nepal

The relevant District Administration Office in Nepal requires proof of legal capacity for an Australian citizen to enter into a marriage in the form of certification by a competent authority that no impediment exists to the marriage. It is therefore necessary for an Australian citizen to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) from the Australian Embassy stating that there is no legal impediment to an Australian citizen marrying a citizen of Nepal.

The consular fee for a CNI is AUD161 (payable in the Nepalese rupees equivalent in cash). A CNI can be issued by the embassy subject to:

(a) evidence of Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residence status,
(b) an original Divorce Certificate if either or both parties have been divorced, and
(c) an original Marriage and Death Certificate if a previous spouse is deceased.

Marriages which are legally performed and valid in Nepal are also legally recognised in Australia. Further information is available on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Marriage Overseas page.

In order to have their marriage registered and to request issuance of a Marriage Certificate, Australians need to submit Marriage Certificate Application Forms and their CNI to the Office of the Chief District Officer (CDO). The CDO will also require witnesses to execute affidavits confirming that the parties are free to marry. It takes a minimum of 15 working days for the CDO to process the application and issue a Marriage Certificate.

Kathmandu’s CDO office’s contact details are:

Kathmandu Chief District Officer
Office of the CDO
District Administration Office
Phone: +977 1 426 2448, 424 8985


Obtaining a divorce in Nepal is a private legal matter; we therefore suggest you consult a lawyer in Nepal for specific guidance.